Friday, March 29, 2013

Texas, Our Texas


Wow! I can't believe that the end of March is almost here!! We have been working hard to finish all of our Texas themed units. If you are not from Texas, March is when we celebrate all things Texas, like Texas Independence Day and Texas Public Schools Week. We dressed up like cowboys, talked with a Texas twang, and generally had a rootin' -tootin' good time.

We started out learning about Tall Tales. When I taught 4th grade, I bought a great E-book from Evan-Moor called Literature Pockets: Tall Tales Grades 4-6.  With a little modifying, it worked just fine with 2nd graders.



Then we two-stepped on over to Fractured Fairy Tales. We read lots of wonderful Texas Fractured Fairy Tales and compared them to the classics.  My teaching pal, Colleen, over at Totally Terrific in Texas, developed a super cute packet for our kids to use. Here are just a few of the titles we perused.



Every time the kids left to go to the library, they came back with another western themed book to add to those we read in class. Who knew there were so many??

Since I had Texas on the brain, I developed a lap-book for our Social Studies standards on Texas symbols. Here are some pictures of the kids work. I think the kids did a great job, and they turned out really cute! It was my first attempt at creating digital clip art. I had a lot of help from my daughter, Sarah, who is very artistic as well as very handy on a tablet. I think I'm addicted!






1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I absolutely love your blog! You need to mention that all the fabulous clip art is created by YOU. Your Texas lap-book turned out super cute. My kiddos L-O-V-E-D it.
    Colleen
    Totally Terrific in Texas

    ReplyDelete